10.08.2008

attached

I never thought I was attached to the little man I work with. I always had the "It's my job and that's were it ends" attitude...until today.


I thought he was going to die. For reals.


A nurse always comes to school with him, just in case something happens. Every hour or so she checks his stats, which includes his heart rate and the amount of oxygen he is getting on his own. Today she checked them and his oxygen was at 65, normally it is 95. Bad sign. His heart rate was at 180, it should be around 120. Double bad sign. The nurse grabs his oxygen tank and puts it on him. He was back up to normal within a few minutes. Yikes. That was scary. I have never seen a nurse use his oxygen tank, mostly because he has never needed it.


We called his mom and she didn't seem to concerned about it. He seemed to be doing fine. We went on with our day and he was working extra hard. It was great!


Around 2:30, an hour before school gets out, his stats get low again. The nurse pulls out the tank and cranks it up to as high as it can go. They aren't getting any better. They were steady 70's for a good half an hour. What do we do? The real teacher is out on maternity leave so her aides are in charge and have no idea what to do. The nurse gives us 3 options: an oxygen mask, a bigger oxygen tank, or an ambulance. The aides are running around trying to 2 of 3 things, a mask or tank. The school doesn't have either. By this time we have the principal, the school nurse, and a few other people in the classroom. Of course his mom doesn't answer the phone so we keep trying. We decide to call for an ambulance. The school nurse hands the phone over to our nurse to talk to the dispatcher. While talking to the dispatcher his stats start to come up and are somewhat stable so we send the ambulance back.

We got a hold of his mom and the district nurse, both of them are on their way. By this time it's around 3:30. The nurse refuses to send him on the bus, which I completely agreed with. His mom and the district nurse arrive within minutes of each other. His poor mom. He has a 3 year old and his pregnant. I don't know how she doesn't it. She starts crying and says it's not normal so they are taking him to the doctor. His stats had been stable for about 10 minutes but he was still on the oxygen.

It was really scary. I have never been in that situation and had NO idea how to handle it. I almost lost it when I saw his mom cry but held it in...until I got in the truck. Then I lost it.

I did a little retail therapy after work which helped. My sweet, sweet husband made me dinner and bought me some delicious dessert from Sweetly Divine, a lemon bar and some creme brule. He is SO supportive of me and does whatever he can to make me feel better. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him!!

I just got a phone call from the nurse saying that everything checked out at the doctor but since they don't know what caused it they want to keep him home for a day. Thank heavens!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better and not involve ambulances.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

EEK! It is good to hear the WHOLE story ;) The one I got on IM just was not sufficient! Poor kid...and mom. What a trial!

You do have a sweet husband for taking care of you. You rock D!

Unknown said...

Ash, you just tasted a little bit of my world. At least once a shift I have a patient who's sats drop and I can't figure out why. No wonder I'm so stressed all the time...

Megan said...

Aaah! What a scary story! I wouldn't have even known what to do! Way to stay calm...until it was over at least. I hope that never happens again - for both you and his mom's sake! And retail therapy is always a good choice.

Michelle said...

retail therapy...love it!

Sarah said...

Yikes. I am so sorry; what a scare. I hope it all works out.